High Quality very simple unit No need for a preamplifier
P1 = 22K Log.Potentiometer (Dual-gang for stereo)
R1 = 1K 1/4W Resistor
R2 = 4K7 1/4W Resistor
R3 = 100R 1/4W Resistor
R4 = 4K7 1/4W Resistor
R5 = 82K 1/4W Resistor
R6 = 10R 1/2W Resistor
R7 = R22 4W Resistor (wirewound)
R8 = 1K 1/2W Trimmer Cermet (optional)
C1 = 470nF 63V Polyester Capacitor
C2,C5 = 100΅F 3V Tantalum bead Capacitors
C3,C4 = 470΅F 25V Electrolytic Capacitors
C6 = 100nF 63V Polyester Capacitor
D1 = 1N4148 75V 150mA Diode
IC1 = TLE2141C Low noise,high voltage,high slew-rate Op-amp
Q1 = BC182 50V 100mA NPN Transistor
Q2 = BC212 50V 100mA PNP Transistor
Q3 = TIP42A 60V 6A PNP Transistor
Q4 = TIP41A 60V 6A NPN Transistor
J1 RCA audio input socket
Power supply parts:
R9 = 2K2 1/4W Resistor
C7,C8 = 4700΅F 25V Electrolytic Capacitors
D2 100V 4A Diode bridge
D3 5mm. Red LED
T1 220V Primary, 15 + 15V Secondary 50VA Mains transformer
PL1 Male Mains plug
SW1 SPST Mains switch
* Can be directly connected to CD players, tuners and tape recorders.
* Don't exceed 23 + 23V supply.
* Q3 and Q4 must be mounted on heatsink.
* D1 must be in thermal contact with Q1.
* Quiescent current (best measured with an Avo-meter in series with Q3 Emitter) is not critical.
* Adjust R3 to read a current between 20 to 30 mA with no input signal.
* To facilitate current setting add R8 (optional).
* A correct grounding is very important to eliminate hum and ground loops. Connect in the same point the ground sides of J1, P1, C2, C3 &C4. Connect C6 at the output ground.
* Then connect separately the input and output grounds at the power supply ground.
Output power: 18 Watt RMS @ 8 Ohm (1KHz sinewave)
Sensitivity: 150mV input for 18W output
Frequency response: 30Hz to 20KHz -1dB
Total harmonic distortion @ 1KHz: 0.1W 0.02% 1W 0.01% 5W 0.01% 10W 0.03%
Total harmonic distortion @10KHz: 0.1W 0.04% 1W 0.05% 5W 0.06% 10W 0.15%
Unconditionally stable on capacitive loads
Source: Electronics Lab